[Avodah] L?shem Yichud

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Tue May 22 20:30:54 PDT 2012

I thought I once shared this story online, but I can't find it in my email
archives. The Noda B'Yehuda, in his famous teshuva against reciting the
"l'shem Yichud" says that this is "v'chasidim yikashlu bam" (playing on the
pasuk that talks about posh'im). Supposedly, a chassidish printer, years
later, reprinted the Noda B'Yehuda, and changed the word v'chasidim back to
the original words of the pasuk, u'posh'im. He came to his Rebbe to tell him
what he did, and the Rebbe didn't like it; he said, "B'shlomah the Nodah
B'Yehuda, took Posh'im and made them Chasidim. You are taking Chasidim and
making them Posh'im!"

Don't know if the story is true, but it's a good story. :-)

KT,

MYG