[Avodah] Kamatz

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 22 19:05:05 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 09:13:56PM -0400, Galsaba at aol.com wrote:
: How American Ashkenazim prononce kamatz.
: - Do they pronouce a kamatz the same way that I (Israeli) promounce Cholam?

More like the way we Americans would say the "u" in "nut".

: - If so, will they pronounce Kamatz Katan and Kamatz gadol the same way?

Some (those who remember their diqduq classes) pronounce a qamatz
qatan like an Israeli cholam, but more common is to pronounce it
like an American cholam ("o" in "note"). At least, in the words "kol"
(meaning they pronounce it the same whether it's spelled with a cholam
or a qamatz), "Mordechai", and any others they know are qatan (rare).

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Malchus: What is the beauty of
Fax: (270) 514-1507               unity (on all levels of relationship)?