[Avodah] Spending Maser Money on a Retreat

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 21 15:51:13 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 02:50:56PM -0400, Rich, Joel wrote:
:> Limited Scholarships are available. Please call 973.471.6351 to inquire for
:> details on your rate based on your housing option You can use massur money
:> for some of payment http://mim.io/519f92 for housing

: Any idea why this would be eligible for maser money? ...

Maybe from the reisha "limited scholarships are available" which would
allow "maaser money for SOME of payment" (emphasis added).

Maaser kesafim is only for the poor, not for other charitable causes or
personal education. (The Rama is quite clear.)

I also don't know if we hold like the Maharil (maaser kesafim is
derabbanan) or the Bach (minhag). (Just to pick two names from a very
broad machloqes.) The latter would diminish how firm rules about what
one may spend maaser on are.

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Malchus: What type of justice
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            does unity demand?