[Avodah] L’shem Yichud

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 18 10:33:47 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 08:51:42AM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
> From http://torahmusings.com/2012/05/lshem-yichud/
>
> It is interesting to note that historically, the inclusion of l'shem
> yichud in the liturgy had been met with some fierce opposition. Rabbi
> Yechezkel Landau waged a fierce battle to ban the recitation...

He was a misnaged in general, though. He waged fierce battle on each
chassidic innovation. Which makes it hard to deduce if there was something
problematic with this one in particular.

We do say "Shomer goy echad... HAMMEYACHADIM SHIMKHA 'H' E-lokeinu
H' echad.'" Similarly. in R' Saadia Gaon's list of mitzvos, the two
mitzvos of Shema (he counts morning and evening separately) are "ever
vavoqer yacheduhu". We aren't simply stating the truth of His Unity,
we are actually creating a unity. Presumably he also means yichud of
sheim Hashem, since we can't be talking of the Aibishter Himself. Although
this poem isn't in RSG's tchanun (see his siddur at
<http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=20685&pgnum=83>) In any case,
the concept of yichud hasheim is older than LeSheim Yichud.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Today is the 41st day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Yesod: What is the ultimate measure
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     of self-control and reliability?