[Avodah] scraping/ finger....

Harvey Benton harvw613 at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 15:30:52 PDT 2012

i have been to  a sfardi shul and they

use a pointer (silvver??) to point and
assis t the reader. my question is;

doesn't the pointer some-times

scrape off the letters (or portions

of them) and thus....

hb

________________________________
 From: Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>
To: Harvey Benton <harvw613 at yahoo.com>; The Avodah Torah Discussion Group <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Avodah] why finger

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 12:43:12PM -0700, Harvey Benton wrote:
: why do we hold up a finger (pinky amnong some congregations
: when the torah is lifted???
: and if we are left handed do we switch hands??

The "zos" of "vezos haTorah" implies pointing. Some hold that pointing
with an index finger is insulting, so, the pinky. OTOH, the Siddur Vilna
says (quoting a few meqoros including Seifer haChassidim) one should
bedavqa use the index finger, since that's the one called "etzba". As
in anthropomorphications about HQBH doing things with His "Etzba" --
including the writing of the luchos.

I'm lefty, and I do use my left hand, since that's how I point to things.
But not because I thought about it, just because that's what I naturally
do.

Micha Berger             Today is the 37th day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Yesod: When does reliability
Fax: (270) 514-1507               require one to be strict with another?