[Avodah] Fwd: Rabbi Hershel Schachter - True Freedom

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 11 10:54:57 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 01:12:32PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> In both cases, who says TC were in the mix to begin with?  What the
> army needs is yir'ei shamayim, ehrliche ballebatim.  Meanwhile the
> full-time TC are back home building up zechuyos for them.

But for a milkhemes mitzvah, no one can stay home -- Misnah Sotah
8:7. "Bameh devarim amurim, bemilchemes reshus. Aval bemilchemes mitzvah,
hekol yotzei." And the gemara (44b) asks how a kalah is expected to serve,
given that women aren't supposed to bear arms.

The mishnah has a machloqes whether this extra bit about even a kallah
is the din by a milkhemes mitzvah or milhemes chovah. This has more to do
with R' Yehudah splitting milkhemes mitzvah into two subtypes. But in any
case, both say that a defensive war qualifies, and the machloqes isn't
necessarily about talmidei chakhamim. And the subject about drafting
or not drafting talmidei chakhamim -- you know, like Rabbi Aqiva --
doesn't even come up in pereq Mashuach Milkhamah in the Bavli at all.

Of those who show up, the righteous ones stay. That's what I exagerated
into a requitement to draft talmidei chakhemim first.

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Hod: How does submission result in
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  and maintain a stable relationship?