[Avodah] Any opinions on the kashrus of Peng Peng?

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Fri May 11 06:43:48 PDT 2012

On 5/10/2012 4:14 PM, hankman wrote:
> Let me clarify or sum up my position (until proven wrong Smile  Things
> are asur until permitted. At the time of maase bereishis as we see
> from the “pshetel from the Sifsei Chachomim I poster previously, the
> default is that things were asur if not specifically permitted.
> Certainly this is only wrt to achila and hana’a or every movement
> (lifting your hand etc) or any other mundane thing would need a heter.
> This seems to come from the musag that the world is not yours and you
> need reshus to be nenhneh from it – perhaps in the same vein, the
> rationale for asur lihanos min ha’olam bli bracho. Then HKB’H
> explicitly permitted ONLY vegetation for achila to man and although in
> Ber. 1:28 Adam is given memshala over the creatures of the world he is
> still not permitted to eat them as the Or Chachayim points out, but
> perhaps this was matir the other hano’os from the animals such as use
> of their fur etc. which otherwise would have remained asur to Adam.
> Then the Mabul and Noach is permitted to eat all. Then we arrive at
> matan Torah where the norm is now all is permitted to be eaten (except
> perhaps as I tried to opine in an earlier post) those things that were
> not yet in existence and therefore still operating under the original
> assumption of asur until permitted. I think this is a fair mehalach
> even if perhaps you can poke some holes here and there that I might
> try to fix with a bandaid.

I disagree.  Ha-motzi me-chaveiro, alav ha-raaya.  If you're going to
declare that people (even people at the time of maaseh bereishit) didn't
have the right to eat without being granted the right explicitly, you
have to prove it.  Not just assert it and wait for others to disprove
your assertion.

Hashem says "pru urvu."  Does that mean that procreation was forbidden
until He said that?  And what's your distinction between eating and
lifting your hand?  Both are natural to the form and character that
Hashem gave us.  Hashem owns everything, including us, so when I lift my
hand, am I not using something of His?  Should I not have to get
permission?  That's the implication of what you're saying, and I don't
see any justification for it.

Lisa