[Avodah] Daas Torah Rerere...redux - Pesachim 112a

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu May 10 16:24:45 PDT 2012

On 10/05/2012 7:00 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> If you agree that milei are words and ideas (from/mll/, to speak), as
> in milei de'alma, or for that matter milei degirsa,

Jastrow says that "mila", like the Hebrew "davar", can mean "thing,
object, affair, subject, &c."

"Milei de'alma" means "secular, trivial affairs", not "words".

> I am saying that "milei de-" refers to knowledge.

No, it does not.  All over Shas one finds it referring to "things".

http://www.tyndalearchive.com/TABS/Jastrow/ppages/JastrowP198975.gif

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion