[Avodah] Daas Torah Rerere...redux - Pesachim 112a

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu May 10 11:39:47 PDT 2012

On 10/05/2012 1:42 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> See also Rashi ad loc:
>      Ve'al tadur be'ir...:
>      Detarud begirseih velo bemilei detzibura.
>
> Isn't Rashi saying that a TC who spends his time with texts lacks the
> knowledge of what's going on in the society in question to be a good
> leader?

No, I think he simply means that a TC is likely to neglect his public
responsibilities through a reluctance to take time from learning, and
necessary public improvements will not get done, or will take longer
than they should.  He's not talking about dayonim, he's talking about
the mayor and the public works department.  There may not be a Republican
and a Democratic way of filling pot-holes, but there is apparently a TC
way, which is to learn another blatt gemoro and forget about the problem.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion