[Avodah] PULLING THE PLUG

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed May 9 17:36:44 PDT 2012

E.T. wrote:  Rav Zilberstein has mentioned this heter in shiurim to doctors. While in
theory it sounds fine I dont think it is ever used in practice

I think that begs the issue.
It is much too important and significant to dismiss summarily.
If it is acceptable in theory, then it certainly has many significant applications.
If it were you or a loved one, chas v'shalom, and you knew that halachically,
you didn't have to prolong a life that was hanging by a thread, would you just say: Well,
in theory, it's fine to allow nature to take its course, but in practice, I'll continue prolonging unnecessary and horrible suffering?