[Avodah] Rav Moshe Shternbuch: Do Adopted Children Sit Shiva For Their Step Parents?

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon May 7 20:58:04 PDT 2012

From: "Prof. Levine" <llevine at stevens.edu>

>From  http://revach.net/article.php?id=1529

Although they are technically not  related or considered family, Rav
Moshe Shternbuch says (3:374) that if an  adopted child grew up with
his step parents and considered them to be his  parents he should sit
Shiva and keep all halachos of Aveilus upon their  death....
------------------------------

From: Micha Berger _micha at aishdas.org_ (mailto:micha at aishdas.org)

Linguistic issue: An adoptive parent is (usually) not a step parent.  An
adoptive parent is a parent....

....The adjective is instead put on the genetic parents who do  not raise
the
child. These are "birth parents", to distinguish them from the  adoptive,
ie real parents, the ones who raise the child.

To quote R'  Meir Simcha haKohen miDvinsk, MC Devarim 28:61 (tr mine):
Even  his creation on the physical level, we find in the Torah
that  it is for the intent of his preserving the species on a
spiritual level.
--
Micha  Berger

I'm glad that RMB clarified an important point, namely,  that adoptive
parents are not the same as step parents!

I would be interested in knowing whether R' Sternbuch's  answer assumes
that the adoptive child was born to goyim and was converted to  Judaism by his
adoptive parents.  Would  he give a different answer if  the adoptive child
was born to Jewish parents?  Would the child have to sit  shiva for /both/
his adoptive and his birth parents (assuming he knew when his  birth parents
died)?  To further subdivide that last question:  would  he have to sit
shiva for his birth parents if he had never met them?  Or  would he only have to
sit shiva for his birth parents if he /had/ met  them?  Or would he not
have to sit shiva for them if he'd met them but he  never had any parent-child
relationship with them?

If his adoptive father or mother died, would it be  improper for him to say
kaddish for his adoptive parents while both his birth  parents were still
alive?  To stay in shul for Yizkor?  Conversely, if  his birth parent died
first, would it be improper for him to say kaddish and say  Yizkor for the
birth parent while the parents who raised him were still  alive?

Skipping along to another, tangentially related  question:  does an adopted
child have a chiyuv of kibud av ve'em to his  adoptive parents?  Does he
get a reward of long life?  Does he have a  chiyuv of kibud av ve'em towards
his birth parents?  Does he have to seek  them out in order to fulfill this
mitzva?

-----

In regard to "preserving the species on a spiritual  level" I will quote
myself from an Ask the Rabbi column I wrote in 2007 in  answer to a question
about childlessness.  (I'm not sure but I think I'm  the only female "rabbi"
there at jewishanswers.org)

_http://www.jewishanswers.org/ask-the-rabbi-category/womens-issues/?p=2638_
(http://www.jewishanswers.org/ask-the-rabbi-category/womens-issues/?p=2638)

--begin quote--

It was Richard Dawkins who coined the term “memes” to describe little bits
of  knowledge and information and ideas and emotions that are passed from
one person  to another. He’s an atheist who is quite wrong-headed in other
respects, but  this idea of his has great merit. It is not only our genes that
we seek to pass  on, but our memes. A lower level, ignorant person may have
no memes, only genes,  but an intelligent and educated and thoughtful
person has a vast treasury of  memes to pass on, ideas and feelings and talents
and areas of knowledge. There  are many ways to do this, from writing to
teaching to being a good friend and  listener. Our genes we can pass on only to
our biological children, but our  memes we can pass on to unlimited numbers
of other people.
--end quote--

--Toby  Katz
Romney --  good values, good family, good  hair