[Avodah] Um,...Hello?! RaShB"I Didn't Die on Lag b'Omer

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon May 7 19:55:43 PDT 2012

From: "Prof. Levine" <llevine at stevens.edu>

>From  http://tinyurl.com/d7b583

....Rabbi Shimon
Bar-YoHai [RaShB"I] did  not actually die on 18 Iyyar, the 33rd day of
S'firath haOmer  ....

4. And, even if this were the anniversary of death of RaShB"I,  the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Sofer>h_ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mose
s_Sofer_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Sofer)   Hatham
Sofer was very much against the idea of celebrating on such a day.
"Do we celebrate on Moshe Rabbeinu's anniversary of death?"

YL

------------------------------

From: Zev Sero _zev at sero.name_ (mailto:zev at sero.name)

What is "yom simchas Rashbi"?  The Zohar
(Idra Zuta)  tells us that it was "the day that R Shimon sought to leave
the world", the  day on which his neshama became "united, grasped
passionately,
and bound" to  Hashem.
http://he.wikisource.org/wiki/%D7%90%D7%93%D7%A8%D7%90_%D7%96%D7%95%D7%98%D7
%90

>  4. And, even if this were the anniversary of death of RaShB"I,  the
Hatham
> Sofer was very much against the idea of celebrating on such a  day. "Do we
> celebrate on Moshe Rabbeinu's anniversary of  death?"

What kind of argument is this?  The Idra Zuta says that it's  a hilulah,
a day of simcha, and this is the precedent for celebrating the  yartzeits
of tzadikim.

In Sefer Hatoda'ah (The Book of Our Heritage) by Eliyahu Kitov (Tr. R'
Nachman Bulman) it says:

--quote--
THE HILULA OF RABI SHIMON BAR YOCHAI

There is an ancient tradition that the demise of Rabi Shimon Bar Yochai
occurred on the thirty-third day of the Omer, and that the day of his demise
was  filled with a great light of endless joy through the secret wisdom which
he  revealed to his disciples that day--and which were written down in the
Zohar.  That day was to him and his disciples like the day on which a groom
 rejoices under his Chupah.  Tradition relates that its sun had not set
till  he had revealed all that he had been permitted to reveal--whereupon the
sun set  and his soul ascended on High (Zohar Ha'azinu).

For this reason the day is marked by rejoicing though the day of the death
of the righteous is a day for fasting.  Such was however the desire of Rabi
 Shimon Bar Yochai, and many of our ancient Sages adopted the custom of
investing  the day of his demise with a festive character every year.

Ever since ancient times, candles were lit, accompanied by much public
activity at the burial spot of Rabi Shimon on Lag Ba'omer.  Rabi Ovadyah of
Bartinora writes in a letter to his brother in the year 5149 (1389):  "On  the
eighteenth of Iyar, the day of his death, people come from all the
surrounding areas and they kindle large torches...."

The Ari (Rabi Itzchak Luria) and the greatest of his disciples and their
disciples--who were greatly learned in this hidden wisdom--disseminated among
 the people the great virtue of rejoicing in this Hilula.  Afterwards, the
disciples of the Ba'al Shem Tov--who followed in the paths of the Sages of
the  Kabalah--also strengthened this custom.  And thus Lag Ba'omer became a
universal day of memorial to Rabi Shimon Bar Yochai.

--end quote--

I'd just like to note that pace RZS we do /not/ generally celebrate  the
yahrzeits of tzaddikim, as Kitov mentions above.  Certainly Ashkenazim  do not.

I did once hear of Sephardim having a hilulah for some famous  Sephardi
godol of yesteryear, I don't remember who.

ps "Eliyahu Kitov" was a pen name and in his lifetime I never heard him
called "Rabbi Kitov."  My father called him, "Reb Avraham." I don't  remember
his real last name.

--Toby Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair