[Avodah] tzar baalei chayim??

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun May 6 09:47:35 PDT 2012

From: Harvey Benton <harvw613 at yahoo.com>
"

shimshon  and the foxes
setting fire to the philistines' wheat.........
was that  allowed?

hmz

I had the same question when I learned that perek but did not find any
meforshim that addressed that question (admittedly I did not make a very
extensive search).  We don't find anything in the sefer indicating that  Shimshon
was ever criticized or punished for setting fire to the foxes' tails,  so I
guess it was mutar.  I speculate that tzaar baalei chayim is assur  only
when one hurts an animal needlessly, and that in this case there was an
overarching, and acceptable, reason that this action needed to be taken.   But it
still was somewhat disturbing to me.  Even lacking a tail, I can  imagine
that being burned alive would be very painful.  Certainly it makes  Shimshon
sound like a hard and frightening man -- which of course is how he  wanted
the Plishtim to think of him, so we come back to, in this case,  the strategy
was justified because of a greater need in terms of ultimately  saving the
Jews from the Plishtim.  Others in this forum have speculated  that animals
lack true consciousness and therefore lack the actual capacity to  feel pain
-- and that the issur of tzaar baalei chayim is only to sensitize US  not
to be cruel -- but personally I don't buy that line of reasoning at  all.

--Toby Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair