[Avodah] Parshas Tazria: Rav Shamshon Rephael Hirsch - When The Whole World Goes White

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 1 06:51:57 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 07:34:47AM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
> See the picture at http://tinyurl.com/7hst25e  It does not look to me as
> though his jacket is black.

You're comparing a lithograph to a picture. Getting shading right on
a lithograph is always tricky. I would assume the lithograph was more
accurate.

But in any case, RSRH wore canonicals, so we know that his uniform
of office was black. (As did R' Isaac Bernays and R' SB Bamberger.
All three are mentioned by RSZLeiman in "Rabbinic Openness to to General
Culture", published in /Judaism's Encounter with Other Cultures/, edited
by RJJSchachter.) But, he did so simply because that was fashion for
German clergy, and thus fit RSRH's definition of kibud. It has nothing
to do with what the masses should or shouldn't do, or even what rabbis
today should wear.

micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Netzach: When does domination or
Fax: (270) 514-1507        taking control result in balance and harmony?