[Avodah] Klal Perspectives - Spring 2012

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Thu Apr 26 11:14:48 PDT 2012

Yes, there are kids today who text messages on Shabbos, and that is
clearly not a good thing. And in the Mechaber's day, the concept of
beginning Yom Kippur early was so poorly grasped by the women, that when
women would continue eating up until dark, he ruled (O"C 608:2) not to
castigate them, lest they eat b'meizid. Is that any different than our
kids, who don't grasp the importance of avoiding their cellphones on
Shabbos? If there's a difference, I don't see it.
======================================
IIRC that din does not apply to something mefurash bkra -but then we get back to the whole electricity thing. In any event the empty observance issue imho can only be solved on a retail basis with hard work, neither of which are consistent with the rhythms of modern life where everyone wants a silver bullet available over the internet.
KT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.