[Avodah] Music on Yom Haatzmaut and Lag B'Omer

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 24 07:23:13 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:26:04AM +0100, Allan Engel wrote:
: There is a reception scheduled for 7pm, and the chupa is due to take place
: after sunset at 8.15. Some may find it incongruous that most men will be
: dancing to music at a wedding while exhibiting signs of aveilus on their
: faces.

It is also problematic, even among Ashk, to assume that the aveilus
ends at sheqia rather than alos.

Still, I *think* that's a problem for the person making the wedding,
not the attendees. I'm reminded of something R' Dovid Lifshitz kept on
reminding me the day of my wedding, before the chuppah. "Fasting today
is a minhag. Simchas chasan vekalah is a deOraisa. If you feel a need to
eat, eat!" (I was too wired up to feel hungry anyway.) I would *guess*
that RDL would similarly tell people invited to a chasunah during the
omer that the mitzvah in attending far outweighs the minhag.

micha at aishdas.org        2 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Tifferes: What is the ultimate
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              state of harmony?