[Avodah] Korbanot before the mishkan

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 06:57:26 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-22 at 08:33 +0300, Liron Kopinsky wrote:
> Where there any Korbanot brought by the Jewish people after we left
> Egypt and before we had the mishkan?
>

> The closest I can come to a proof is from Yitro, but that depends on
> the fact that a) he came before the building of the mishkan, which is
> not at all clear, and b) he was Jewish when he brought his sacrifices.

Both olot and sh'lamim are brought at the time of matan torah, at the
end of parshat Mishpatim (Shemot 24:5). The gemara in Chagiga 6a refers
to both of these as being "lifnei hadibur". Rashi there explains that
this means that these were offered on the 5th of Sivan, and Hashem spoke
to us and gave us the Torah on the 6th of Sivan.