[Avodah] Stopped learning Nach?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Apr 20 03:09:55 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 09:17:06AM +0300, Ben Waxman wrote:
>            .., any deep learning in TN"K must only come after the
> student has a strong background in Torah Shel B'al Peh.  RAL also said
> that while in Europe, TN"K wasn't generally studied, those who did study
> it tended to be the best of the best. He gave Rav Ahron Kotler as an
> example; apparently RK memorized the entire Bible at a young age.

I am missing how the illustration proves the point. RAK's memorization of
Tanakh is described as being *before* he yet built a "strong background
in TSBP" and before he was noted as "the best of the best". Admittedly
memorization isn't "any deep learning", but then we were originally
talking about the lack of remedial exposure too. Couldn't someone have
cited RAK's example and argued that early and extended exposure to Tanakh
is a help in *becoming* "the best of the best"?

:-)BBii!