[Avodah] Kama Maalot Tovot Lamakom Aleinu?

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 19 02:06:53 PDT 2012

RMB wrote:
> Li nir'eh the machloqes between 40 and 50 makos might really be
> about whether there is a difference between teva and neis.

Very beautiful insight.

Alternatively, it might really be a machloket about how to read
Tehillim, and the number of stages within each makkah is totally
beside the point. I.e., they both want to stress the multiple stage
nature of the makkot (which would place them within what can be
explained with teva', except for the fact that it was alsoi a major
neis - see Ralbag and Malbim on keritat mei hayarden for this theory
of neis in detail), and they both, along with RYHG, want to stress
that the gilui at qeri'at Yam Suf was far, far greater than even the
ten makkot. However, when it comes to expressing those ideas through a
proof text, their different approaches to how to read a list comes to
the fore.

--
Arie Folger,
Recent blog posts on http://ariefolger.wordpress.com/