[Avodah] Fwd: [DTT] A new Fear of Gd?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 18 19:07:38 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 06:50:08PM -0400, Poppers, Michael wrote:
: What R'Micha writes reminds me of the popular, but philosophically
: double-edged, "H' is here/H' is there/H' is truly everywhere" lyrics and
: of the dialectic between transcendence and immanence...

Or between that song and "Just one Shabbos/ Just one Torah/ Just one
Hashem in Heaven..." which Lub modified to "Who can't be seen" primarily
to be able to correct the rhyming line from "10 but not 11" commandments
to "... 613". But it really does seem to reflect the Litta vs Chassidus
split. Uncle Moishe, who I believe is Belz, unsurprisingly wrote a song
that emphasizes Immanence.

: would represent gilui Shchinah in a way we can't currently see baOlam
: hazeh, so I wouldn't dismiss it; and yir'as H' represents the level of
: awareness I constantly aspire to ("yir'ah" more in the sense of "r'iyah").

But I don't think what I said actually is related. Because I didn't
speak of olam hazeh or things I am aspiring to while alive. I quoted
Chazal's description of olam haba -- ateroseihem berosheihem venehenin
miziv hashechinah.

Thus, the Alter Rebbe of L, when he says he doesn't want olam haba,
just Osekha bilvad, isn't he contradicting the maamar chazal? Gan eden
is just the ability to sit before Him, with no intervening gashmius,
neither a body nor gashmi or evil desires, and enjoy Osekha bilvad.

Related is the Rambam's shitah that "olam haba" refers to the afterlife,
not (as per the Ramban) life after techiyas hameisim. And that in fact
leshitaso there is a second misah after techiyas hameisim. Because the
greatest good *is* Osekha bilvad, and as the Rambam cogently argues,
the unemcumbered soul is more able to receive and enjoy Him.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Gevurah: What is imposing about
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            strict justice?