[Avodah] Stopping Saying Mashiv Haruach

Simon Wanderer simon.wanderer at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 15:22:43 PDT 2012

R' Liron Kopinsky asked:

> In Israel, we start saying Mashiv Haruach 2 weeks after Shmini
> Atzeret to give the people who made Aliya laRegel an opportunity
> to return to their homes.
>
> Why don't we stop saying Mashiv Haruach 2 weeks before Pesach
> for the same reason?

I'm a little behind on Avodah, so excuse me if this has already been said.

1- you mean tal umatar.

2- from memory, RSZA is quoted in halichos shelomo as answering that the pilgrims returning after succos would still have been wearing summer clothing, having originally travelled to Jerusalem in the summer, and ill equipped to deal with a wet journey home. By contrast those being oleh regel for pesach would leave their homes in the winter and travel appropriately dressed to handle the rain.

I seem to recall the sefer saying this was a favourite chidush from RSZA's youth, but I might not be right about that.

KT

--SW