[Avodah] two fictional sects

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 18 14:44:07 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 05:21:04PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 18/04/2012 5:05 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
>> Both Abayei's role and this were discussed twice now in previous
>> iterations. You are continuing past the Hebrew quote and into the
>> gemara's Aramaic.

I realized I didn't actually repeat where Abayei comes in. Look a little
earlier, who is telling the whole story about the letter. IOW, it's not
the letter, it's how Abayei described the whole thing.

(My belief is that Abayei was on the beis din in question, as the
end of his life was during R' Hillel's nesi'us. But the topic is too
complicated for me to be sure of anything. This too was a repeated topic
of conversation.)

> I am not.  See Rashi, who explains "dilma gazru" in the second person,
> clearly showing that it is part of the quote.

What do you mean you aren't? Is "hizhiru beminhag avoseikhem" Aramaic,
or is "deziminin degazeru..." Hebrew?

And while I can't tell which Rashi you're referring to, I don't see any
of the 3 Rashi's on Abayei's quote as referring to the recipients of the
letter in particular. The letter itself gives no motive, the "zimnin
degazru" isn't "dezimnin degazru", and all Rashi does is describe the
possible gezeira -- that the people wouldn't be allowed to learn, and
the calendar algorithm would be forgotten.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Gevurah: What is imposing about
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            strict justice?