[Avodah] two fictional sects

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 18 14:05:24 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 04:35:02PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> Um, what are you talking about?  The letter (and BTW where does Abaye
> come into it?  I don't see him anywhere) explicitly says the reason.
> I didn't add anything, it's right there in the gemara.  "Hizaharu
> beminhag avoseichem biydeichem, zimnin degazri hamalchus gezeira,
> ve'asi lekilkulei."

Both Abayei's role and this were discussed twice now in previous
iterations. You are continuing past the Hebrew quote and into the
gemara's Aramaic.

> Of course the concept existed: they had parents, and those parents
> did things in a particular way, so the concept of "the way your parents
> did it" existed.  How could it not?  But it's just a description...

Under normal circumstances, no one would describe the Washington
Monument as "That White Tower", or lehavdil the kotel as "The Sandstone
Wall". People pick significant features. The Benei Bavel are asked to
continue their parents' minhag (and not "maaseh", which itself *might*
be significant), which implies salience."

But on the other points we're just repeating ourselves.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Gevurah: What is imposing about
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            strict justice?