[Avodah] Particles of flour cannot become Chamets

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 18 08:34:58 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 01:08:58AM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: I've always thought that the shiur of chametz is a mashehu. But he
: seems to hold that the shiur for chametz is half a grain or so, and two or
: three particles (he calls them "garinim") of flour are below that shiur.

When I saw the ST, I *assumed* he was talking chemistry, not shiurim. One
wet grain of wheat can't leaven (neither chimutz nor even sirchah). Even
if ambient yeast turn some of the carbs in the wheat into CO2 and alcohol,
there isn't the ability to make a bubble of dought around the CO2.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Gevurah: What is imposing about
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            strict justice?