[Avodah] When do princes say shema

David Wacholder dwacholder at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 07:00:21 PDT 2012

   1. Zev - I glanced in RAAVAN - in the new edition Part 2 of Deblitsky -
               included in bkumecha is the entire process of morning
hygiene. Included in
               Resting is everything after a normal laborer comes home
for the night. That
               is why Kohanim come to eat their Trumah is relevant. I
would then closely
               read the Raaviyah.
               2. Sliding latitude scale - 30 degrees north is where normal
               people live - Eretz Yisrael or Florida. as we close in
on the Arctic
               Circle,  people keep their eight hours of rest, but the
sun rises at wildly
               different times according to the seasons. Salmas Chaim
suggested that the
               Zman cannot fight the people - when it is the unanimous
feeling of all. Pri
               Yitzchak did not use this svara.
               3. Sliding scale on schar after sunrise -  the more you are
               part of the day renewal experience the more you get
schar! The more of the
               day is gone - the more "the sun was just up there".
You get less
               inspiration and less schar. After half the morning,
arguably the most used
               time of the day - You are in a different time zone - a
whole different wave
               length - so you missed it. AO interest is the geonim on
saying Shma the
               fourth hour, or until chatzos,  or all day.
               4. According to several angles, women are also obligated in
               Shma, despite its time based status. Kontresei Shiurim
- Rav Gustman - on
               Eino Mtzuveh v'oseh - says it becomes like Maariv
amidah for men - a
               "general obligation" rather than a localized specific
one. It can be
               overcome by unusual circumstances.
               5. He also proves that once they do the Mitzvah - its Kiyum
               has full status.
               6. IMHO - if you heard Birkat Kohanim from one "uncalled"
               Kohein- the Kuyum is complete. The penalty for not
doing it is what is
               different.
               7. The standard "they accepted upon themselves with a
               personal neder making it a chiyuv" never became
comprehensible to me.  At
               best it becomes like Lo sisgod'du.

Message: 6