[Avodah] nidche

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Tue Apr 17 12:13:56 PDT 2012

I don't get what nes happened on Yom HaAtzmaut.  That a declaration was
read?  Yom Yerushalayim, I get.  It's the actual day that we retook
Yerushalayim.  But honestly, 16 Kislev makes more sense than 5 Iyyar for
the day that the nations of the world passed the partition plan.  The
war itself ended on different days for Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan and Syria,
so that doesn't seem like a useful date.

I realize there's a desire to commemorate the birth of the State of
Israel, but what specific thing can you point to that merits being
called a nes?  As far as Yom HaShoah is concerned, if I understand
correctly, the Knesset asked the Rabbanut to create such a day, and the
Rabbanut replied that it wasn't necessary, since we have Tisha B'Av.  I
understand that with people who actually lived through the Shoah still
alive, there's a need for something separate, but in the long term, how
do we justify raising the Shoah al rosh aveiluteinu?  Yom HaShoah was
created by the Knesset itself, and shouldn't have any halakhic
significance.  IMO.

Lisa