[Avodah] Leading Charedi Posek Says metzitza' Should Not

Joseph Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Tue Apr 17 04:11:53 PDT 2012

"If metzitzah is part of the mitzvah, then one would have to conclude
that at Giv'at haAralos, the generation led by Yehoshua did metzitzah
bepeh. As did the returnees with Ezra. Three millennia of metzitzah,
no indication of ever doing anything but bepeh.

It's up to us to prove that other forms of metzitzah are valid, not the
other way around."

I'm not sure that's true from a methodological viewpoint for 2 reasons.  First, how do you know how metzitzh was done by Yehoshua and Ezra?  "No indication" is not p[roof; it's an assumption.  Second, with the corpus of halacha that we have, a talmid chacham (which excludes me) should be able to determine what the written works of halacha say about the requirement, if any, to do metztitzah by peh. Assumptions in this area should be unnecessary.  (Of course, the result might be, as in so many other things, there are different opinions.)

Joseph Kaplan