[Avodah] Text for Bittul Chametz

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 17 01:10:50 PDT 2012

RAM wrote:
> If that is so, I find it curious that all the hagados include the Israeli
> word, while the Bavel version is the one frequently omitted or
> parenthesized. Even odder, that seems to be the reverse of the text
> in the poskim: Mechaber 434:3 and Aruch Hashulchan 434:6 both
> have "chazi" but not "chami".
>
> I'd like to hear from others about this. Specifically, can anyone point
> to a difference in meaning between "chazi" and "chami"? Or has
> anyone heard anything authoritative regarding the proper nusach to
> use? Are there any communities which specifically use one nusach
> or another?

I would answer your second question negatively with the following
response to your first question: The prayers, at least in Ashkenaz,
are very much influenced by teh sources of Ashkenaz, which is much
more Eretz Yisrael than Bavel. In reality, in Ashkenaz, we don't
pasken like the Bavli, but like Minhag Ashkenaz, which is rooted in
the Yerushalmi, the Pessikta and other such works, as Rabbenu Tam and
Rabbenu Yitz'haq Or Zarua' wrote. So in the liturgy, for instance the
Haggadah, Yerushalmi Aramaic might dominate occasionally.

However, as the Bavli became the dominant learning text (and
Ashkenazim like the Ba'alei haTossafot began reinterpreting the Bavli
occasionally to make it confirm to Ashkenaz, which could then claim to
be rooted in the Bavli, too), the poskim would naturally rather quote
it.

KNLAD,
--
Arie Folger,