[Avodah] What is Glatt?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 16 14:18:46 PDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 06:16:00PM +0300, Ben Waxman wrote:
> IIRC RMF didn't say that veal isn't kosher. There are kashrut concerns
> with force fed calfs, and he wrote that a bal nefesh won't eat it, but
> he doesn't say that by definition the meat is treif.

(Side-note: We're talking about veal raised in particular conditions;
white veal. Not all veal. A less expensive veal cutlet isn't likely
to have been produced this way.)

RMF prohibited raising veal in this way (EH 4:92). And while he does
permit eating these animals, me'iqar hadin (as per RBW), RMF requires
an extensive check of internal organs, since some 84% of milk-fed and
crated veal are tereifos.