[Avodah] The 8th Day of Pesach in Golus

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Apr 16 04:20:39 PDT 2012

At 09:41 PM 4/15/2012, Rn T. Katz wrote:

>On every yom tov sheni shel galuyos we have yom tov when those in E'Y do
>not.  We have that extra day because of sefeka deyoma, i.e., BECAUSE we are
>in galus.  What you are suggesting is that it is in general better to be in
>galus than in E'Y because our doubt as to what day it is somehow increases
>kedusha!  Needless to say this seems prima facie absurd to me.
>Additionally, it is only on yom tov that the day approximates the
>level of  kedusha
>that is present in E'Y every day of the year, which is why we only have
>duchening on yom tov while they duchen in E'Y every day.

First of all,  I believe that some "real" Sefardim duchan every
Shabbos in Chutz L'Aretz.  Secondly, IIRC R. Noson Adler instituted
duchening everyday in his minyan in Frankfurt.  (I may be wrong about
this and it may have been just on Shabbos.) Thus, I do not exactly
see the connection between duchening and kedusha in EY.

Be this as it may,  the kedusha of EY might well be a "double edged sword."

Many years ago I asked Rabbi Dovid Kronglass, ZT"L, who was the
Mashgiach of Yeshivas Ner Yisroel,  about moving to Eretz Yisroel.
After all, I said, Orthodox Jews are interested in doing mitzvahs,
and one can certainly do more mitzvahs in Israel. He responded by
pointing out that the mitzvahs that one can do in Israel are only of
rabbinical origin at this time. Furthermore, he went on, one has to
keep in mind the following.

The land of Israel has a special Kedushah (holiness). Therefore, if
one does a mitzvah there, one gets more reward than if one does the
exact same mitzvah here. However, if one does something wrong, G-D
forbid,  in Israel, it is much worse than if one does the same wrong
here. "You just don't go to Israel," he told me. "You have to be on
the right spiritual level before you go."

Based on this I conclude that for those people who are not on the
right spiritual level it is "better" for them to remain in Golus.

For the record,  I have no idea what the "right spiritual level" is.  YL