[Avodah] Stopped learning Nach?

Joseph C. Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Mon Apr 16 09:05:12 PDT 2012

"It seems to me that it wasn't the Christians who "stole" Tanach  from us by
memorizing portions that few frum Jews study.  It was actually  the
Haskalah, the Documentary Theory and all that -- turning Tanach into a field  of
secular academic study -- that "stole" it from us, because the response of
the yeshiva world was to look askance at anyone who had too deep an  interest
in Tanach.  In the same way and for the same reason, the study of  Hebrew
language and dikduk was "stolen" from us."

While it's always easier to blame others for problems ("they" made me do it), it's often more adult to take at least some personal responsibility.  In this case, ISTM that no one "stole" Tanach or its study or that of Hebrew/dikduk from us.  If we no longer have it or no longer cherish it properly, then it's most probably our fault to a large extent, and the way to perhaps solve this is through introspection rather than pointing fingers at others.

Joseph Kaplan