[Avodah] Leading Charedi Posek Says metzitza' Should Not

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 11 15:39:33 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 08:17:36PM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: Several posters are discussing whether metzitza is "an integral part of
: the mila" or not. I do not understand this discussion. Regardless of
: whether it is an integral part of the milah, or whether it is a separate
: mitzvah...

The gemara says that metzitzah has health advantages. There are two ways
to read this: metzitzah is only for health reasons, or metzitzah is part
of beris milah, but happens to also have a health advantage.

No poseiq that I know of takes it as potentially a separate mitzvah,
aside from venishmartem me'od lenafshoseikhem. So, if it's not part
of beris milah, then it is no more binding than any other of chazal's
medical advice. And more so when it poses a real medical risk far
greater than any advantage gained through bloodletting.

:-)||ii!

Micha Berger             Today is the 4th day
micha at aishdas.org        in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Chesed: When is Chesed an
Fax: (270) 514-1507                           imposition on others?