[Avodah] Chief Rabbi Metzger: Women can lead Seder

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 10:55:38 PDT 2012

--- On Tue, 4/10/12, Chana Luntz <Chana at kolsassoon.org.uk> wrote:

 RHM replied:

>Once again: Sipur Yitzias Mitzrayim is a D'Oraisa for women (MItzvah 21 in
the Chinuch).

Well my reading of the Minchas Chinuch is that he actually disagrees and
holds it is only d'rabbanan, see there.  I am not sure that anybody else
does though.

> 'Af Hein Hayah B'Oso HaNes' is not a Sefora that is used for D'Oraisos. It
is used for D'Rabbanans - like the Daled Kosos.

The Minchas Chinuch does assert this, and indeed this is one answer given in
Tosphos (Megilla 4a "af hen") - to the question of why we need to learn out
the chiyuv of eating matza from the prohibition on chometz, won't af hen
b'oso hanes do, but I am not sure it is so pashut.  Tosphos itself there in
Megilla brings, in the name of Rabbanu Yosef Ish Yerushalayim, an
alternative reason - ie we might have learnt the gezera shava tes vav, tes
vav that women should be exempt (which would suggest that indeed af hen
b'oso hanes does give rise to d'orisas)... (the rest deleted for brevity - HM)
I am awed by your Bekius. Even thoughh you've showed it many times here on this list on may different subjects, it still never fails to amaze me.

My source was not taken directly from the Chinuch or the Michas Chinuch. It was from a secondary source - Torah L'Daas (TLD) on Moadim by Rabbi Matis Blum. I was therefore not aware that aside from questiong the Chiunch - the MC also asserted that Sipur Yetzias Metzrayim for women is a D'Rabbanan.

Now that you mentioned it - I now kind of recall that the Gemarah that uses 'Af Hein' as a reason for mandating a D'Oraisa that women are normally exempt from because it is a MASHZG.

But I believe that it is generally accepted that 'Af Hein' is reserved mostly for D'Rabbanans.

Also, the Kehilas Yaakov is not necessarily the definititve answer to the question. It is however the answer I saw in TLD - and I liked it. That you could so easily 'Shlug it up' testifies to your keen ablities in Limud HaTorah. Very impressive!

HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/