[Avodah] Taam Matza vs Zerizin Makdimin

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Apr 5 15:28:58 PDT 2012

R' Zev Sero asked:

> While we're at it, can someone explain how we still have taam
> matzah, and must not drink so as not to wash it away, after
> we've drunk two more kosos.

This has bothered me too. The best I can come up with is that when we say "taam matzah", what we really mean is "taam mitzvah". I don't really like that though, because arba kosos is d'rabanan, and ought to interfere with matzah d'Oraisa.

Or maybe it is related to how solids and liquids don't combine, neither for bracha acharona, nor for Yom Kippur. And maybe they don't interfere with each other here either.... No, that logic would allow us any kind of liquid, not just the last two kosos.

Any other guesses?

Akiva Miller