[Avodah] Taamei haMitzvos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 5 13:22:28 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 02:08:35PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> They [presumably the audience] or mochi lei -- if it's HLMS, what is
>> this talk about not tearing, and if it's so that the seifer Torah doesn't
>> ch"v tear, why is it HLMS? (No answer, the Y-mi moves on to list more
>> halakhos LMS about making sifrei Torah.)

>> So, every HLMS must be a choq?

> See http://3x4.7u.sl.pt

Which lacks real sources. The wiki author only cites maamarei chazal from
which he deduces his points.

But he appears to be saying something quite logical -- we wouldn't call it
HLMS if we could derive it from a pasuq or sevara. It has to do with the
definition of the idiom HLMS, not with taamei hamitzvos.

Micha Berger             Between stimulus & response, there is a space.
micha at aishdas.org        In that space is our power to choose our
http://www.aishdas.org   response. In our response lies our growth
Fax: (270) 514-1507      and our freedom. - Victor Frankl, (MSfM)