[Avodah] Leading Charedi Posek Says metzitza' Should Not

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 3 12:39:42 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 02:55:28PM -0400, Beth & David Cohen wrote:
: Are you saying that metzitza b'peh is a halachic imperative, i.e. that the
: milah is not kosher without it?

I am saying the people who insider on metzitzah bepeh believe that
a circumcision without metzitzah is not a beris milah. The boy, even
bedi'eved, is an areil. Basically what you write, but I'm saying it's
their position; I myself don't hold this way.

: Citing halachic authorities centuries old is of no moment if those poskim
: were operating under the mistaken impression that metzitza was actually a
: benefit in the healing process. That is, unless you can show that the p'sak
: of the requirement of metzitza was operative irregardless of any the
: supposed health benefits....

Well, they have sources that list the metaphysical benefits -- which is
why it's Chassidim and Sepharadim who are most adament.

I should also point out that those who advocate for a pipette rather
than the CS's sponge or gauze (my translation skills are imperfect)
are doing so because they are at least being chosheshin for metzitzah
bepeh being mandatory -- but hold that via a tube is still "bepeh". For
that matter, even the CS requires (or is being chosheish that we might
need to require) metzitzah, he's saying that "bepeh" isn't mandatory.
The idea isn't trivially dismissed by any of the parties.

For that matter, they knew that pressure applied to a cloth would draw
blood back when Avraham first entered the beris. Bloodletting is not
usually oral. Why did doing metzitzah bedavqa bepeh get started?

Micha Berger             Here is the test to find whether your mission
micha at aishdas.org        on Earth is finished:
http://www.aishdas.org   if you're alive, it isn't.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Richard Bach