[Avodah] What's a city?

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Tue Jun 19 11:38:35 PDT 2012

In OH 398 it says that a house within 70 and 2/3 amos of a city is part
of a city.  But I can't find a definition of a city.

If you think of houses as points, and pairs of houses no further than 70
and 2/3 amos (or possibly double that, for technical reasons I needn't
go into here) as edges, is a city a connected subgraph? Or is there an
independent definition of city somewhere which I've missed?

What happens in a town with large lots? For example, a square lot
containing an acre is 200 by 200 feet.  That implies, if houses are no
more than 40 feet wide, that they are 160 feet apart.  That it in turn
would imply that a person living in such a town can walk no more that
2000 amos in any direction on Shabbos, which seems small to me (the shul
I attend is 1.1 miles from my house, and 2000 amos is around 0.6 miles;
luckily I live in a much more densely populated town).

For comparison, in colonial New England, when towns were set up, they
typically assigned 10 acres per house (with, of course, a much larger
farm for each household outside of town).

Thanks,

David Riceman