[Avodah] Would Ruth's conversion be rejected today?

Gershon Dubin gershon.dubin at juno.com
Fri May 25 07:56:35 PDT 2012

>From Areivim...

There are so many quotes and requotes [on Areivim -micha] that I can't
figure out who said what.

My recollection (sources on request, but after Y"T) is that according to
one man de'amar in the Gemara, Boaz collected the 10 zekenim to publicize
the pesak of Moavi velo Moavis (The other IIRC was that it was for sheva
berachos; more accurately birchas nisuin since it was alman ve'almana))
It was not in dispute but (this is not in the Gemara; I believe I saw it
in one of the meforshim) not "lemaaseh" since Moav was always a bitter
enemy and intermarriage was not a major problem. Ploni Almoni did not
DISPUTE the pesak; he questioned it. He said "pen ashchi es nachalasi"
meaning he was afraid that down the line his yichus would be questioned
and he wasn't prepared to risk that (also meforshim I think) Finally,
Doeg did question the pesak at the time that Dovid took on Golyas and
was up for the position of son in law to Shaul as a result ("ben mi ze
ha'elem") This is also a Gemara. I don't know if I added anything beyond
clearing up all the quote marks.

Gershon
gershon.dubin at juno.com