[Avodah] The Akeidah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 18 08:45:46 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 09:02:45AM -0400, Joseph Kaplan wrote to Areivim:
: On May 18, 2012, at 2:30 AM, Samuel Svarc wrote (also to Areivim):
:> Why didn't Avraham Avinu (known for being a baal chesed) find some
:> reason not to kill his only, promised, son?

: My answer: Because he heard that command directly from God.

And mine:

Because he was already promised "ki miYitzchaq yiqrei lekha zara",
telling him that Yitzchaq would somehow be around to parent children no
matter what he did. We know how -- HQBH sent a mal'akh to stop him.
Avraham probably had now idea how Yitzchaq would be around (survive,
resurrect, something else?).

It was a test of bitachon and willingness to cause pain, but not an
attempt to convince him that the G-d of Abraham would ever under any
circumstance ask for the murder of innocents. What kind of lesson would
that be? And wouldn't Avraham know just as certain as every other nevu'ah
of his that it's simply not possible that such is what the Av haRachaman
meant?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Today is the 41st day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Yesod: What is the ultimate measure
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     of self-control and reliability?