[Avodah] HARav Asher Weiss - Metzora 5772: ‘Kashrus Verification’

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Fri May 4 06:48:10 PDT 2012

 From http://tinyurl.com/d2p4enl

<http://download.bcbm.org/Media/RavWeiss/Sefer%20Vayikra/Tazriah/Rav%20Weiss%20Tazria%205772%20English%20Kashrus%20Verification.mp3>HARav
Asher Weiss -Metzora 5772: ‘Kashrus Verification’    http://tinyurl.com/cdv49o9

Why can’t we rely on eid echad neeman b’issurin
(one witness is sufficient in cases of ritual
prohibition) in kashrut supervision? (ironic to
me – this was the starting point of R’N Alpert’s
Z”L response to me when I asked him about a kashrut supervision).

R’AW’s opinion is that eid echad is not a rule to
neemanut (trustworthiness) but in hanhaga (how to
act) – that in case of doubt you can rely on a
single witness (proofs include there is no testimony and no beit din).

However, over the years the Rabbis make
fences/judgments (e.g. requiring a ritual
slaughterer to show his knife). So today (see
chachmat adam 200 years ago) we don’t rely on
anyone who has a monetary interest (me – but then
what about the agency being paid?).

Then discussion of one of my favorite topics –
Chazal and statistics. R’AW says out loud what
I’ve whispered to my chaburah – Chazal did not
engage in statistics! First he discusses why a
miyut shachiach (normally found minority?) is of
concern (why not just say rov [majority] is
sufficient?) – Perhaps because of concern for
margin of error. Then on to miyut hamatzui
(material minority) and the famous 10% rule of
the Mishkinot Yaakov – he feels tshuva is
misread; while it does mention 10% with some
“interesting” proofs, the conclusion is that it’s
just about what’s “common” – and the real problem
is defining “common” in age where a shocheit may
shecht 100X as many animals in the old days.
That’s why we steer clear of doubt!!!!! Oy, if only they would ask an actuary?