[Avodah] Parshas Tazria: Rav Shamshon Rephael Hirsch - When The Whole World Goes White

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Apr 30 12:52:32 PDT 2012

 From http://revach.net/article.php?id=5023

The Gemara (Sanhedrin 97) says that Moshiach will come when every
government in the world turns to Apikursus. Rava says, "We see it
from the pasuk (Tazria 13:13) 'Kulo Hafach Lavan Tahor Hu;' when a
nega spreads through a person's entire body he is tahor." What is the
connection?

Rav Shamshon Rephael Hirsch says that white is a distinguished color,
the color of purity, righteousness, and innocence. It is the color of
a special breed. When every country turns to Apikursus and cloak
themselves in righteousness, only then will Moshiach come and spread
true purity on the world.

If white is the color of purity,  then why do so many Orthodox men
wear black, and why do I see a trend amongst  observant women to
favor wearing black over clothing of other colors?  YL