[Avodah] Vachai Bahem

Liron Kopinsky liron.kopinsky at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 23:40:49 PDT 2012

Oznayim LaTorah asks the following question. (I wasn't left feeling
satisfied with the answers given, but I really liked the question, so I'll
just post that for now.)

We know that the pasuk "vaChai Bahem" teaches us "vaChai Bahem v'lo laMut
Bahem" that one is not obligated to give up their life if someone forces
them to do an Aveira [in private] with 3 exceptions: Avoda Zara, Gilui
Arayot and Shfichut Damim.

The problem is though, that this Pasuk comes as the introduction to all the
Mitzvot of Gilui Arayot. How can one say that we are obligated to give up
our lives to avoid Gilui Arayot when specifically here is where we are told
"vaChai Bahem"?

Kol Tuv,

--
Liron Kopinsky