[Avodah] Joulies

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun Apr 29 04:57:06 PDT 2012

To be honest I had never heard of joulies until I
read an article about them in the latest issue of
The Journal of Halacha and Contemporary Society.
This article is available on the Internet at
http://www.crcweb.org/Sappirim/Sappirim%2023%20(Mar%202012).pdf

The following is from the article.

Two inventors came up with an interesting product
that they called “Joulies” (pronounced “Joo-lees”).
Each Joulie looks like a 2 inch-long stainless steel
coffee bean and is filled with a proprietary material.
The material inside the Joulie is designed to absorb
heat that is more than 140° F and then
release that heat when the surrounding
area cools below 140° F. Consumers are
supposed to put Joulies into their coffee
mugs so that the Joulies will quickly cool
the coffee to a drinkable temperature;
then as the coffee cools the “magic
beans” release their heat and thereby
maintain the temperature of the coffee.
This article will address a number of
questions (kashrus, Shabbos, and others)
that are raised by this product.

See the above URL for the rest of this article.

This item is for sale on the Internet.  See, for
example,  http://www.joulies.com/