[Avodah] learning Tanach

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 05:52:18 PDT 2012

<< What I found interesting in the story was that even a "moderni" like RAL
feels that TN"K can't/shouldn't be learned on its own, but only within
the framework of TSBP. >>

What is interesting is that the top of learning Tanach in religious circles
is Machon Herzog associated with Har Etzion.
While the teachers there all know and many teach Talmud nevertheless they
(and their magazine Megadim) centers on new approaches to studiying Tanach.
The leaders of this group were more R. Breuer z"zl and R. Yoel Bin-Nun.
Though they all knew chazal they have emphasized more pshat based on a wide
knowledge of Tanach rather than medrashim of chazal.

I have never been able to attend their Tanach "yemei iyun" which I
understand is attended by thousands, I have been told that the main
attractions are more people like R. Meidan, R. Bazak etc and not RAL.

--
Eli Turkel