[Avodah] Nusach twice excising Tal in Amidah AND "sab'einu mituvecha" or "mituvahh"

David Wacholder dwacholder at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 11:58:32 PDT 2012

To what purpose -     after the grand Tal prayer Musaf of Yom Tov Rishon,
Nusach Ashkenaz slights Tal by not mentioning it at all, to the detriment
of clarity. .

Perhaps the year-round rainy climates of Europe made mention even of Tal –
that least stormy precipitation -  diplomatically risky. Chazal’s “Mashiv
Haru’ach UMorid hatal” was dropped with no footprints left. In the Bakashot
section, V’tein Bracha sounds suitable for almost anything, but is quite
Nistar compared to requests of Tallelei  at even long length by Eidot
Mizrach.

Ritva in Taanis [?]says that in EY and Mid-East rain after Nissan – is Open
Miracle. If so there is no insult in mentioning Tal as rain is Against
nature.

Not even mentioning Tal may be a form of silent wistful wishing for the
Geulah, for a renewed relationship, which this season has not yet arrived.
Nissan may usher it in.

Tefilas Tal becomes a one-time attempt to show gratitude. On a daily
routine basis we cannot address it, so as not to offend the “Giver of
Rain”.

 ===

“Put Blessing onto the earth, and make us fed from [“her” “Your” Goodness
and Bless our Year like the Good Years”.

 Which of three meanings is preferred? Which of three conduits of
sustenance?

Box #1: RosH in a responsum  says the only True wording, theologically
sound,  is “Your [Not hers!] Good or Bounty ” which naturally is Diaspora
Ashkenaz.

He rejects the Sfarad version of the wording is “Her Good” – is the Good of
the Year. That is clear in Eidot Mizrach sidurim, wording the entire
passage based on it. This is interesting theology,  that hashem blesses the
years, and the Year leaks it for us and we pray for that. .

Siddur Vilna says uses Her Good, taking from Al hamichya – put Blessing on
the face of the Adamah – earth or soil – and  we beseech hashem to fill us
from the bounty of the soil earth.  Tentatively,  bless the good or
potential blessing of the soil, which in turn will grow grain and fruit,
and  allow us to be filled by it

So he uses Sfarad – now EY Ashkenaz and GRA wording – with different
meaning, deviating from  Eidot Mizrach and Sfarad

SAYING HAGESHEM - BACK TO WHERE?

Despite its strategic place at beginning of Second Blessing, Rain is a
“hazardous utterance”. Out of season – last six days of Passover – it lands
you “Back to Go” – by Baruch atah Hashem.  That is at least the opinion of
Raaviyah. Which if any Rishon says to go back only to Atah Gibor? Based on
what?

 We see that improper mentioning of even such Divine a favor as Rain - –
can be considered insulting improper and gauche, invalidating the entire
long list of Praises and Requests.

 Rain is a present to a family member – a token of love. Therefore it must
be treated as such – one cannot complain of it, even in the face of
imminent flooding. Like in family life, it can show great feeling of
connection or its opposite, it can show pleasure in giving or mixed
emotions..

Am I missing to my detriment some elementary discussions from the past?

  .

--
David Wacholder
Cell: 917-742-7838