[Avodah] Taamei haMitzvos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 3 10:40:54 PDT 2012

I'm not sure what this implies WRT how we should approach taamei
hamitzvos. But...

On Y-mi Megillah 12:1 12a, R' Chiyah bar Ba, R Chiyyah besheim R' Yochanan
say that it's a halakhah leMosheh miSinai that when you sow together the
dafim of a seifer Torah, you must leave unsown area on top or on bottom,
so that it does not tear.

They [presumably the audience] or mochi lei -- if it's HLMS, what is
this talk about not tearing, and if it's so that the seifer Torah doesn't
ch"v tear, why is it HLMS? (No answer, the Y-mi moves on to list more
halakhos LMS about making sifrei Torah.)

So, every HLMS must be a choq?

Also, what does this say about metzitzah? Would the Y-mi not discuss the
health advantage of metzitzah if it were deOraisa? Not overly relevent,
because even if it wouldn't, we would have to show the Bavli assumes the
same. Just intriguing, at least to me.

Micha Berger             When memories exceed dreams,
micha at aishdas.org        The end is near.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - Rav Moshe Sherer
Fax: (270) 514-1507