[Avodah] Eliyahu beHar haCarmel

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 2 09:35:32 PDT 2012

I assume my experience is normal, that Eliyahu beHar haKarmel is the
textbook case of a navi overriding the normal din with a hora'as sha'ah.

But after today's Y-mi Yomi, I'm not sure it really qualifies. It says
in Megillah at the end of 1:11, vilna 16b: "Amar R' Yosi ben Chaninah:
Ein [habamah] niteres ela benavi." I'm I wrong, or is RYBC saying that
the permissability of a navi making a bamah is mutar in principle,
even if only one navi invoked it?

The pasuq quoted (Deverim 12:13-14) is the usual one for issur bamah,
but notice the wording, "bekhol maqom asher tir'eh. Ki im el hamaqom
asher yivchar Hashem...." Is this being brought as a source for "ein
habamah niteres", a point discusses all through 1:11, or is it that
"asher tir'eh" doesn't apply to a location pointed out to by a navi?

Micha Berger             We are great, and our foibles are great,
micha at aishdas.org        and therefore our troubles are great --
http://www.aishdas.org   but our consolations will also be great.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabbi AY Kook