[Avodah] Soft Matza

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Apr 1 09:22:23 PDT 2012

R' Micha Berger asked:

> Can matzah for the mitzvah be made from a belila rakah? Okay,
> it's not chameitz, but it is lekhem to qulify as lekhem oni?
> I could ask the same thing about Shabbos -- can you use two baked
> formerly belilos rakos for mishneh lekhem?

When making a seudah of pas habaah b'kisnin, it is indeed usable, at least b'dieved, for several purposes, such as lechem mishneh (SSK 55:4) and even the first two Seudos Shabbos (SSK 54:31). I would also point out that the halachos of Pas Akum also apply to Pas Habaa B'kisnin.

Over the years, such halachos have led me to believe that there's really not much difference between these two types of Pas, other than for the bracha and for Hafrashas Challah.

However, much more relevant to Matzos Mitzvah is the MB 639:21 (which I was led to be SSK 53, footnote 65) which says that on the first night(s) of Sukkos, one must eat Pas, "and not minei targima, because it is a safek d'Oraisa, and also not Pas Kisnin, but rather [one must eat] Pas Gamur."

Apparently, for Sukkos (and 15=15 leads me to presume that the same would apply on Pesach) there's a safek on whether or not these other types of Pas would suffice, and the MB says to be machmir.

> I concluded 3 years ago that wraps are hamotzi despite being
> belila rakah, which appears to close my question WRT matzos mitvah.

For all these years, I had thought that "oni" is the main definition of "lechem oni". I had not realized to put considerable weight on the "lechem" part too. Thank you.

Akiva Miller