[Avodah] emuna and seichel

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Dec 29 14:05:25 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 08:13:49AM -0800, Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org wrote:
: http://onthisandonthat.blogspot.com/2011/12/sacred-nonsense.html    to
: achieve ideal  emuna, must one set aside seichel?

http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2004/11/emunah-peshutah-vs-machashavah.shtml

> I found a variety of opinions:

> 1- The Rambam seems to belittle emunah peshutah. Yedi'ah is the key to
> olam haba....

> 2- The Baal haTanya invokes a mystical resolution...

> 3- At the other extreme, Rav Nachman miBreslov discouraged the study of
> theology, placing all value on having a relationship with HaQadosh barukh
> Hu....

> 4- The Brisker approach is to avoid the whole subject...

> 5- When thinking about this further I realized that I assumed a
> different stance when writing AishDas's charter....
> As for our contradiction, the question is one of finding unity between
> mind and its ability to understand and explain, to philosophize about
> G-d and His governance of the universe, and the heart and how we feel
> and react toward Him.

Micha Berger             A cheerful disposition is an inestimable treasure.
micha at aishdas.org        It preserves health, promotes convalescence,
http://www.aishdas.org   and helps us cope with adversity.
Fax: (270) 514-1507         - R' SR Hirsch, "From the Wisdom of Mishlei"