[Avodah] Vegetable Peeler: Clarification

Naftali Rothstein naftali.r at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 13:38:43 PST 2011

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 1:55pm CST, R' Naftali Rothstein wrote:
>: I think the main nafka mina is carrots because apples, etc. most people
>: eat the peal and potatoes are usually peeled and (of course) cooked
>: before Shabbos, so the main ochel which we are discussing is a carrot.

[I, Micha, replied: -mod]
> I am not following what you say about "apples, etc." Isn't pesoles defined
> by what I don't want at the moment, regardless of what is generally done?

My point about apples and alike (pears, and similar fruit) was:

Most people eat the peels of those fruits so acc. to the PRM and the
Shemiras Shabbos Kehilchasa it is considered 'one unit' or "min echad"
and therefore borer doesn't even start as an issue since there is no
ta'aroves.

Your comments were regarding peels that are normally not eaten and are
therefore considered 2 minim and a ta'aroves, since this is where the
borer issues start. And then I pointed out that many vegetables such as
potatoes, in reality are not peeled on Shabbos, just because it needs to
be cooked and usually done before Sabbos. Hence, the main NM would be
for non-eaten peels which are realistically cut and peeled on Shabbos.
One of the few that fits this category is carrots. Hope it's clear
this time.

KT,
NR

--